Paladapradhaman is very popular dessert in Kerala .It is made on occasions likeVishu, Onam & marriage feasts. This arich and delicious dessert and it is a fitting finale to the sadhya(feast),leaving your guest with unforgettable memories of the delicious Onam sadhya.
Instantada 1 cup
Wholemilk 2 ½ cups
Evaporatedmilk 1 tin
Water 1 cup
Sugar 1 ½ cup
Saffron a pinch
Ghee 2 tbsp.
Cashews& almonds a handful
- Soak theadas in water for 30 minutes Wash & drain in cold water 2-3 times untilwater is clean.
- Place aheavy bottom vessel and add in one cup of water and allow it to boil. Add adainto it. When its almost cooked drain the water and keep aside.
- Pour the milk , evaporated milk and saffron into the thick bottom non stick vessel,heat it.when it boils, add the sugar and continue boiling until it thickens.
- When itis well reduced or thickened, add the cooked ada pieces into it. Cook it in very low flame.
- Finally addthe crushed cardamom powder to the milk and mixwell. switch off the flame.
- Blendthe well boiled milk and the ada together and remove from the flame only whenit reaches the consistency that makes it ready to serve
- Heat ghee and roast the cashew nuts and raisins and garnish on top.
You canmake ada at home. Here is the recipe.
Formaking fresh ada:
Unnakkalari (Raw rice) - 1 cup. Sugar - 3 tsp. Coconut - 1 tbsp.
- Wash the unakkalari well and either powder it or grind it.
- To this,add the sugar and the coconut oil, and mix it till it is slightly thinner thandosa batter consistency, but thick enough to be spread on a leaf.
- Tear thebanana leaf into five portions, remove the fibre, and spread the batter on eachleaf by hand. Flatten and smoothen it out.
- Place avessel of water on the flame, and when it boils well, add the flattened adainto it.
- When theada is cooked well, switch off the flame.
- Drainthe water and when it cools, gently separate each ada from the leaf.
- Cut theada into very small pieces.
- Now adais ready for Pradhaman.
Note:see my other Ada Pradhaman recipe