Bombay Rava or Ravva, is a wheat productand a form of semolina or Rava.
Semolina is made from durum wheat and notthe softer wheat that goes into bread, it is digested more slowly and has a lowglycemic index, which is good news for people wishing to control or reducetheir weight and blood sugar, and especially for diabetics. Semolinais high in protein, very high in complex carbohydrates and fairly high inpotassium, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium and fiber, with some iron, zinc,manganese and copper.
Bombay Rava is a excellent Source of Fiber Pongalprepared with Bombay Rava is very delicious and healthy to eat. This healthypongal is simple and easy to prepare. I make this pongal on Ekadasi days.
Coarse Bombay Rava 1 cup.
Moong dal ½ cup
Toor dal 1tbsp.
Channa dal 2 tbsp.
Turmeric powder 2 pinches
Crushed Black Pepper 1 tsp.
Grated ginger 1 tbsp..
Curry leaves few
Cashewnuts 1 tsp..
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander leaves for decoration.
Ghee 1 tbsp.
Whole Black pepper ½ tsp.
Cumin seeds ½ tsp.
- Wash dal together and Pressure cook the dalswith needed water for 3 whistles.
- Take out the dals from the cooker and smashit well.
- Heat ghee and fry cashews and keep aside.
- Roast the Rava in 1 teaspoon of ghee andkeep aside.
- Take a kadai, add ghee and fry the curry leas, grated ginger, andblack pepper powder, and asafetida. Add water and salt, stir well.
- When its starts boiling, slowly pour thefried Rava in one and stir the water in other hand. So it won’t have any lumps.Stir continuously, till rava is cooked.
- When the water has almost been absorbed, add the cooked moong dhal and mixwell.
- Heat the ghee and fry the seasonings and add to rava pongal.
- Serve hot with sambhar and coconut chutney.