Pumpkin halwa or popularly called as Kasihalwa. This traditional sweet is served in every Tamil weddings. I tried thisdelicious halwa for this Diwali and It came out very well. I am sure you willalso would like to give a try.
Grated White Pumpkin 2 cups
Sugar 1 ¼ cup
Ghee 3 tbsp.
Freshly crushed cardamom 1 tbsp.
Orange color a pinch
Edible camphor (Pachai Karpuram) a pinch
- Peel the white pumpkin skin and grate it. Iused my food processor for shredding which made the job easy and no mess.
- Drain the excess water from the gratedpumpkin.
- Microwave Cook the grated pumpkin for 10minutes.(If you don’t have microwave, use the idli cooker to steam cook).
- Mash the vegetable easily once it iscooked.OR grind the pumpkin to a paste.
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in the nonstick pan,and saute the pumpkin for 5 minutes until the water gets absorbed.
- Heat a pan and add sugar with 1/4 cup ofwater. Let sugar dissolve and bring it to a boil. When the syrup startsthickening add ground vegetable and mix well.
- Cook in medium flame for about 20 minkeeping the pan closed. Stir it after every 5 minutes
- Mix the food color in a few drops of waterand add it to the pan and mix well.
- Once the mixture becomes semisolid, addghee and crushed cardamom and eatablecamphor stir it well.
- When it starts leaving the sides of the panand becomes thick, remove from heat.
- Fry the cahsews and raisins in ghee, untilgolden brown and add to the halwa.