Bittergourd or bitter melon as it is called has always been a neglected food among alarge part of the population. But what we tend to forget is the wonderfulhealth benefits that are hidden in this not-so-frequently-used vegetable.Bitter gourd is rich in various vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber. Thevegetable helps strengthen the immune system in children, rendering them lessvulnerable to diseases.
Indiancuisine seeks a satisfying balance of taste - Sweet, sour, Salty and threetypes of bitter. According to Ayurvedic belief eating layered and balancedflavors, encourages proper digestion and the release of positive, nurturingenergy from the foods we eat.
Thismasala based bitter gourd fry is very easy to prepare and tasty too.
Ibet you would surely like this recipe, if you are a fan of bitter gourd.
Bittergourd/Pavakkai - 4 nos.
TurmericPowder ¼ Tsp.
Salt To Taste.
Coconutoil 2 tbsp.
For Fry and Grind Coarsely
Tamarind very small ball. (Goli size)
Corianderseeds 1 ½ Tbsp.
Fennelseeds ½ Tsp.
RoastedPeanuts 3 Tbsp.
DryCoconut ¼ cup
Corianderleaves with stalk ½ bunch
Byadagi/Guntur Chilies 10 no.
CoconutOil 1 Tbsp.
Mustardseeds 1 Tsp.
Chennadhal 1 Tsp.
Urdhdhal 1 Tsp.
Curry Leaves 1 string
- Washand cut the bitter gourd cube sizes. (ifyou want you can Remove the seeds ).
- Heat oil in the pan, fry all the grinding masalaexcept coriander leaves and dry coconut.
- Grindthe ingredients under for grinding, except Copra, when it is powdered coarselyand Copra and grind once more, keep aside.
- Heatthe coconut oil in a kadai and add all seasonings and fry them until theychange colour to golden brown.
- Nowadd the chopped bitter gourd and salt, saut them for 10 mins or till slightcolour change (Take care not to burn the bitter gourd).
- Nowadd Once the bitter gourd is fried well, add this powdered mixture to it, and sautwell, until well combined, adjust salt and use the rest of oil remaining andclose the lid and leave it in the low flame for at least 5 to 10 minutes.
- Nowyour Bitter gourd dry curry is ready to be served with hot rice.
- Thiscurry stays for 2 days at least.
- Toreduce the bitterness select bitter gourd which are less green in color andwith less thrones.
- Soakingthe pieces in salt water will reduce the bitterness.
- Tryto slice the veggies evenly.
- You can try the similarmethod with vegetables like brinjal or cauliflower and potatoes too .
My Other Bitter gourd Recipes are: