This is one of theclassics from South India. Healthy and a very filling steamed ricedumplings. It tastes like Uppuma but it is healthier since we use less oil andit is steamed.
Rice Rava 1 ½ cups (Coarsely groundRice)
Water 3 – 4 cups
Grated coconut 1 Tbsp.
Coconut oil 1 Tsp
Mustard seeds 1 Tsp
Grated ginger 1 Tbsp
Chopped green chilies 1 Tbsp.
Chopped curry leaves 1 Tbsp.
Chenna dhal 1 Tsp.
Urdh dhal 1 Tsp.
Asafetida powder(hing) ½ Tsp.
For Rice RavaPreparation
For Kozhukattai Preparation
- Heat oil in a pan and addmustard, when it splutters, add all other seasonings and saut for few minutes.
- Now add water into it. Once it starts boiling,add the ground rice and grated coconut while stirring it constantly.
- Now add the salt and Cook till it becomes thick andleaves the side of the pan. Cool it.
- Make oval shape balls from the cooked mixture.
- Prepare the idli plates by greasing them with oil. Placethe oval shape rice balls in the idli plate and steam cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the stove heat and let it allow cooling for 3minutes.
- Serve hot with chutneys, Gothsu, Sambhar